Not just mere facts of my life... :P

Pages

My Best Friend: Chapter 3

2

Posted by Zabi | Posted on 05:05

Note: Read the chapter's below, to get a lead of the story.

Intro
Chapter 2


Chapter 3





I was skeptical if this was the guy aaya was talking about since he was quite older than me; at least by 2 years. I went towards the office room. I heard a shout from the office room, “Where the hell is your school tie? And why is the top button of your shirt open?”

“Sorry Mom, errr.. I mean Madam.”

Yeah yeah. My mom is our school principal and obviously I am the son of the school principal. Being her son I did not gain any favoritism from her. Instead, I got all the unnecessary attention. Smallest of My mistakes were actively noticed and littlest of my actions were thoroughly evaluated. But I had my ways of taking advantage of being her son without her knowing. My mischievous deeds will follow through the rest of the chapters.

“How many times I have to remind you that I am your mom only in the house not in school. Address me only as madam here. O.K”

I replied, “Yes Mom, I mean madam.”

“Where the hell is your tie?”

Actually I and my friends used to wear the tie only during school assembly when the inspection for the school uniform is done. we used to take off our school ties and put them back in our pockets after school assembly. We wanted to look different from other kids and wanted to be considered as rebels in the school. We considered it cool. A rebel in my own school, how stupid was I. As if that were not enough, I always kept one of the shirt buttons open to look different from my friends just to look like their leader.

I replied, “I removed it during intermission and forgot to wear it back Madam”

“Why do you have to remove it in the first place while you are still in school?”

“We had to play the game of kabaddi Madam.”

“In a 15 minutes break? How the hell can you play even one full game of kabaddi?”

“We’ll play only a part of the game in interval madam. We’ll continue the rest of the game in lunch break.”

lies, lies and more lies, I never gave up telling them until others gave up asking questions.

My mom aka principal shouted back,” Intermission is only for going to “pass” not to play. “

“What can we do madam. We don’t have a period for games like other schools do.”

“I think I have to cut short your intermission break to 5 minutes. It’s long enough to serve the purpose it is intended for and no more. And also, I never want to see you without a tie again. This is my last warning to you. No excuses will be tolerated again.”

I took the tie out of pocket. I actually never opened the knot so that I can wear it back as soon as any strict teacher demands it. So it was easy wearing the tie back.

“Meet Raghav. He’ll be your new class mate. He shall sit with you today. Introduce him to the class. Give him the list of text books and note books he has to buy for all subjects. Make sure teacher enters his name in the attendance roll. Also give all the information he needs to know about the rules of the school. And Raghav. This is Zabi, Leader of the 6th class. As a leader of the class it is his duty to accompany you for the first day of any new student in the school. Ask him for any help you want”

The Man, standing besides raghav, who I figured out was his father, interrupted my mother, “Madam, every thing seems fine but we really can’t pay the admission fees by next month. We came to this village very recently, and I got a job in the local factory only yesterday. There will be a lot of bills by next month to pay. We’ll be really grateful if you can postpone the payment of admission fees by 2 months.”

This happens a lot in my school. Most of the students in our school are the children of migrant workers working in the local industries with very low wages. Rarely do they pay fees on time but we live with it. Added to that, they also negotiate the school fees and most of the students never pay Admission fees. I really wonder sometimes how my mother is able to run the school without a incurring a loss. I guess it is just her urge to be independent and interest to impart some education to those children. Our school fees are also very low starting from 40 rs for L.K.G to 80 rs for 7th class. Nowadays, I spend more than that to eat one biriyani in a weekend or spend four times that amount for a movie in multiplex. Anyways I knew that time that my mom won’t refuse that offer since they are just offering for a postponement and not the cancellation of admission fees which if the would have demanded, she would have accepted readily.“

My mom replied to hi father,” it is O.K. But make sure you buy all the text books and note books as soon as possible along with the school uniform. Now Raghav, go to your class with zabi and don’t hesitate to ask me for any help you might need. Welcome to Sun Shine School.”

We started walking towards our class. He asked me in an excited manner, “What is a class leader?”

I took the tie out of my neck and put it back where it is supposed to go, Right back into my pocket. I seriously stared at him and replied, “I am the leader of the class and the rest are followers. So from today you’ll listen to what I say and do exactly as I say. Understand?”

Listening to my answer, all his excitement changed into horror, which made his face look little all of a sudden. With a tamed tone he asked me, “Are you serious?”

I did not want to spoil his first day at school so I thought I’d ease him down a bit so I replied, “Of course not; I am kidding. In our school, every class has its own class leader. It is usually the topper of the class unless he or she doesn’t want be. In such case the next topper will be given priority.”

“What does a leader do?”

“Lot of things like accompanying new kids on their first day, collecting home works for correction, monitoring the class when the teacher is absent, getting canes for caning up students etc. etc.”

“Students are beaten?”

“You’ll see, but not if you read well and complete you home works. So don’t worry. I’ll save your ass if you don’t do it since I am the one, who looks over the home work correction. But you have to become my friend”

We reached the class by the time I finished explaining. Every one started looking at the new kid and they will soon start befriending him but I already made him an offer he can’t refuse. I stood in the middle of the class and shouted loudly as our social teacher shouts when she starts a History lesson, “Hey children…”

A gal shouted back at me, “Hey, we are not your children. A teacher can call us children, not you. We are your classmates.”

I hated the bloody gals in my class for reasons innumerable. They never used to listen to me and always fight with me. The truth is never used listen to them and I usually started the fights.

I replied, “Oh yeah we’ll see. Next time I monitor the class I’ll show you how you’re my children, Anyways, This is Raghav our new class mate.”

Every one in the class shouted together loudly and slowly as if singing, “HAI,,,,,,,,,, RAGHAV.”

He smiled and replied, “Hi”.

I shouted back, “That’s enough for now. Come raghav, I’ll show you, your place.”

I took him to the last bench where I comfortably sit with all the front benches camouflaging all the prankish things I do. There I saw shyam waving his head, half asleep, with saliva dripping out from his mouth.

I looked at raghav and said, “Meet sleeping shyam. Always sleeps in class and sometimes wakes up in the middle of the class screaming, like this.”

I gave him a hard kick . He woke up screaming just as I said. Then I screamed back at him,

“Get aside you moron. I have to go inside to sit at my place.”

I introduced him to the rest of the guys in my bench one by one. There was a “Mota seth” aka Mohanlal chand, a marvadi guy who’s father owns the biggest sweet shop in our village and is the richest man in our village. Next to him was Joseph aka “Jozip” as he calls himself, a keralite or mallu as most of the people like to call, whose father is an electrician in a local factory. Once, Instead of his son’s fees for two months, his father offered us to fix all the electrical problems we had in our house. Next to me was dumbo aka seenu, a real dumb fella, whose father is a local villager who constantly whines about delayed monsoons and increasing power shortages when he comes to pay the fees. When he is not paying the fees he sends us nice packet of fruits and vegetables from his farm so that we don’t complain.

He smiled at all of them warmly and followed me inside to the corner of the bench and the corner of the class. Actually there are 6 of us sitting in the same bench as there is a shortage of benches in our school. I asked sleeping shyam to move onto another bench so as to accommodate raghav in this bench today.

I kept telling him about all the other kids in the class as we sat down,

“’Yuckie’ aka Yuck-kil aka akhil, the most disgusting guy in our class. He farts in the middle of the class, he scratches his head and smells his fingers, he always fingers his nose, and he does things that make you puke on him. That’s why he’s nicknamed him yuckie.

“That is “Bang head” aka Rudra. He always sits in that corner. If he feels any emotion other than happiness he starts banging his head. He is sad- u’l see Bang Bang. He is angry, more Bang Bang. If is angry at some body he bangs their head with his own. So don’t mess with him.”

“And who else you want to know about? “

He asked, “what about the gals?”

“Gals are stupid, all of them with out exception. If you want to be my friend, you don’t talk to them. No guy in the class is friends with them. “

“Can I at least know about them?”

“Yes, of course. Whom do you want to know about? “

“That gal.”

“That dark gal?”


“No. The fair one.”

“The fair who?”


“That fair girl with curly hair.”

(to be continued..)

P.S : Read the chapter below for continuation.

Chapter 4



Comments (2)

u wer such a funny boy, hehe :P

Nice way to publish the book. Wise use of blogging.....keep it up....will be visisting back soon...

PS: Nice writing....

Post a Comment