Posted by Zabi | Posted on 03:45
Note: Reader's discretion is required since an element of fiction is included.
Prologue
We all have friends, different types of friends; In fact, so many that we cannot recall them all in an instant. If you still give it a shot, you can recall all your close friends, whom you would rather call best friends ignoring the superlative. But there is always one buddy who is the best of the best, who is as close to you as you are to him, whose name comes to your mind as soon as listen to the word “Best friend”. There is no body else who can replace that one person in your life. I am lucky to have one such friend and the memoir that follows is his story.
Chapter 1
I am finally home in my village after a long time. My wicked boss won’t grant me leave until I finish the project which took 8 long months. I am sitting on the sleeping chair which I love the most. It is the iron chair with a stretch of cloth hanging between its ends. Sitting on it feels like hanging in some garden of the heaven; watching T.V, eating pakodas home cooked by my mother, while sitting on that chair, feels better than heaven.
But Alas! God it seems had the room for only one heaven, for which he created the devil called little sister and left her into mine.
While I was about to get into a state of utopia, a screeching sound made from my behind brought be back to reality,
“ABBEY OOh Bhai!!”
I sank deep into my chair and pretending as if I weren’t listening, imagining the devil would settle down. But she wouldn’t since she is no ordinary demon.
“Bhaiyya. . Would you look at me?? Please.”
Her voice was little sweet this time. I got scared. Generally, if she sounds angry then it’s a sign of danger, but if she sounds sweet for no particular reason, then it’s surely a sign of a catastrophic disaster to come.
I got no better response than being silent to her devious sweetness.
“Oh bhaiya. Won’t you like to talk to me? You have come home after such a long time. about your days in Bangalore? You have been away from home for such a long time. You must have been missing me all the time. This is your chance bhaiya. Talk to me; tell me about your gal friends and stuff.“
Sweetness coupled with persuasion. Deadly combo. She is definitely onto something devious. I showed no signs to placate. I replied her with the only weapon I had, “Silence.”
“I am really giving you a last chance bhaiyya. Turn around…or else..”
I held my breath this time so that she can find no sign of a life that she can suck out of that chair.
She shouted with all her sweetness gone this time, “You moron!!! Get yerr lazy ass out of that chair so that I can put it to some better use.
I still pretended as if I am a statue of some kind.
Vroom..
A shoe went on the top of my head, just touching my hair.
I finally gave up my silence and shouted back at her,“Hey Satan, Stop it. What the hell do you want? If it is the remote, forget it. You are not gonna get it.”
“Who wants remote dear. I want you.”
“No way. My favorite movie is coming. I can’t let you spoil the fun I am having.”
“What movie? Terminator? I bet this is the zillionth time you are watching that movie. Don’t forget that I have only thrown 1 shoe of yours. The other is still in my hand. This time I am not gonna miss.”
“Do whatever you like. You can’t move me out of this chair.”
“Hey, Don’t sit in that chair. It broke down recently when that fat cousin of ours sat on it. Dad somehow fixed it. Nuts and bolts are still loose.”
“Good story but only a fool will trust ya.”
“Don’t trust me? You will suffer. Get up you fool.”
“Nope I won’t. You are not gonna talk me out of this sweet chair and please shut-up; that’s not the way u talk to you big brother.”
“That’s it. I have no more patience left. Let me show you what kind of a fool you are.”
She came close to me, pulled some thing out from the side of the chair and put it in my hand. It felt heavy. It’s a nut. I moved a bit to look below where she took it from.
BAM!!!!...
I fell down. I felt excruciating pain in my back. I tried to move and tried to catch her leg but I couldn’t. I was struck like a chicken in that chair. A few moments ago it was the chair from heaven, and now it feels like shit hole from hell, thanks to the Satan in the house.
“O.K . Alright. I give up. Help me get out of this chair. I’ll do whatever you want me to..”
“That’s good Tommy. How about you start with a nice apology? You shall be forgiven as I am merciful.”
“Enough. Get me out.”
She came towards me and started pulling me out of the chair. Right then, I felt her hair at my finger tips. This is the chance. I pulled her hair with all my strength into the chair. Now, we both are awkwardly struck to the chair.
She made the loudest screeching howl that I ever heard. A chill went down through my spine. Listening to that, my mom came running from the kitchen.
“Oh there you go again. You are no kids now. Stop messing with your sister. You are 25 not 5.”
“Excuse me!! I am not the one who started it. You ask this devil not to mess with me instead.”
“Shut up and get up, and you gal; still not ready? We have a wedding to attend this evening. And you too must come to the wedding son. “
I replied with an anguish,“Wedding? Aah boring!!… Not me maa. You know I hate’em.”
“No excuses. I want to see both of you ready by evening. Those are the places where we can find the right matches for the both of you.”
“NO.”
This time I and my sister shouted together in unison forgetting all the differences between us.
“What No? Don’t argue.”
“Neways it’s a muslim wedding. Bride and groom are separated and so are the boys and gals. I can’t pick a hot chick for your bahu maa.”
“I m not taking you to catch some hot chick you fool and I don’t even try doing a stupid thing like that in a wedding. We’ll take care of it.”
“If you want to take care of it, why the hell am I needed there?
“I am taking you so that the parents of those hot chicks can catch you. Get dressed in some nice formals you have, and don’t dare wearing those crazy low pajamas of yours (thats what she calls my jeans)”
My sister shouted, “Mom.!! Stop being crazy. I will not come to the wedding if you say so.”
“I am just kidding. See, you both stopped fighting each other and are now united to fight against me. Its just to scare you both. Now get up and get ready.”
I know she is not kidding and there is no use arguing. She is the boss. With some struggle I was able to get out of the chair somehow. So was my sister.
I asked my sister,“So what is that you wanted from me dear?”
“Drive me to the town. I have to visit my friend.”
“I can’t. Bike isn’t in a good condition. I haven’t used it for a long time. I am not sure if I can trust it.”
“Bike? Are you kidding me? Take me in the car.”
“What? You need a drive in the car? You know how much of petrol our car guzzles? Forgot those days when you and I sat in the back of a truck with laborers to go to the town when buses were on strike?”
Listening to this my mom shouted,
“When and where on this planet, you did such a crazy thing?”
“Not now mom. We were too young to mind such a thing then. But now this princess wants a chauffeur for her ride. Hey!! I remember Mom telling me that you learned to drive last month. Drive yourself to town if you want to go. ”
“No bhiaya. I can’t now. I have to get some mehendi done. I can’t drive back home without spoiling it.”
“ Duh!! You are not the bride. Why do you need mehendi?”
“Numb skull. I can’t explain it to you. Just get ready and drive.”
Shue,……..
Finally, all of us stopped arguing. I felt good that I had this little funny fight after a long time. It just reminded me of how I and my sister used to fight all the time like this. I really missed it when I was staying away from home all these days.
I finally took the car out of the shed and started driving towards the town. I saw my village on the way which has changed a lot since I left it 10 years back for higher education. I used to visit my village only during holidays and rarely had the time to meet anyone.
I saw some body waving his hand trying to stop the car. It is a Man looking all wretched with unshaved hair all over his face.
My sister shouted ,”Bhaiyya.. Don’t dare stopping the car for him. Hit the floor and get outta here.“
He looked a little scary. I didn’t want any nonsense at this moment and did what my sister told me to. Just as we were driving past him I had the chance of looking into his eyes.
Those brown eyes!! The moment I looked at them, I knew whose eyes they were. The sharpest I have ever seen.
I asked my sister, “Is he?...”
Before I could complete the question, she answered back,
“Yes he is indeed your best friend.”
(to be continued..)
Continuation:
Chapter:2


wow! that was quite an incident, m looking forward for the continuation.
You really have a good narrating skill, also a loving siser :D hehhe
Phir kyaa hua???? Bohot time hai tere paaaas
पढ कर अच्छा लगा भूली-बिसरी सी बात लगती है जब मैं भी अपने भैय्या से लडती थी। तुम्हारी लेखन -शैली प्रभावी है।
I fully agree with you.....gals and sweetness is a sign of danger......